Saturday, January 7, 2012

The end of my G Adventure

Well here I am sitting at Ho Chi Minh Airport waiting to fly to KL and feeling a little bit emotional about leaving the fantastic people I met behind as I go on to my next adventure in Indonesia.

The last few days were pretty busy. We crossed the border to Chau Doc in Vietnam and spent the afternoon napping in the hotel before taking a motorbike ride up Tam Som mountain and sitting in hammocks with beers watching the sunset. Afterwards we had dinner in a floating restaurant on the Mekong before an early night watching some trashy TV.IMG_5568 Chau Doc was a city which was nice but nothing incredible as it is mostly a transit town for tourists heading to the Delta and HCMC from Cambodia. The next morning we left early again (at 8am) for what was supposed to be a 8 hour drive to HCMC. Luckily our bus driver thought he was a Formula 1 driver and we made it in 5. It was a really interesting drive through the Mekong Delta (well it was when we weren’t asleep) and we really got a feel of life along the Mekong. We also crossed the Mekong on possibly the most dangerous ferry I have seen where we sat on the roof and there was no safety rails at all. IMG_5574

Arriving in Ho Chi Minh City we set off on a walking tour. Some of us girls walked for a little bit before spotting a coffee shop and spending an hour sipping iced coffee in the shade pretending we weren’t in a hot Asian city. After this I took us for the rest of the walk (it’s only been 8 months since I was last there) and we saw the Reunification Palace and did a bit of retail therapy buying some incredibly touristy tshirts in Ben Thanh Markets.IMG_5578

We met the “newbies” who were carrying on the tour that night before heading to the welcome/farewell dinner at a Mexican restaurant which was surprisingly good although the cocktail prices were a bit of a shock after Cambodia. There was a lot of reminiscing of things we had been through together on the trip before we headed off for the Rex Hotel for more cocktails on the rooftop bar and hitting a few of the bars in what ended up being a rather late night.IMG_5582

My last day of the tour consisted of a trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels and War Remnants Museum. Although I’d been there before the plan was to spend as much time with the group as possible and we had an amazing lunch at Pho 2000 (where Bill Clinton eats when he is in town) and trying to all pack our stuff with 5 of us girls in 1 room and a lot of sad goodbyes.

It was very sad saying goodbye to the friends I had met. I got to travel through 3 amazing countries with 15 incredible people from across the globe. From Australia, America, Austria, England and Narnia (Guernsey) I had a fantastic time and the people on the trip really made the trip what it was. IMG_5610

So that’s it! The Cambodian Adventure is over and I’m now back in what is kind of my second home Indonesia. I stayed in possibly the worst hotel in the world in KL and having checked into the new place it is rather nice. Time to go out and probably just go to the mall and get a hair cut. Will have to suss out somewhere I haven’t been (which will be difficult) for tomorrow.

Courts xx

2 comments:

  1. I have been so excited reading your blog. I booked to go on this tour for my partner's 30th birthday in November and i can't wait. Thank you for the insight you have given me into what i think is going to be the best experience.

    Kerrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it Kerrie! It truly is a beautiful country and the tour is a great way to see it. Have a great time!

    Courts

    ReplyDelete